Friday, February 5, 2010

Whit Supremacy and The Demoralization of Ourselves

This week in Intro. To Lit. we watched video lecture delivered by Bell Hooks. In the lecture's we watched in class Hooks talked about the white supremacy and how racism is more of an idea that is more to do with classification then status. I also watched her lectures on "Rap" and "Madonna."
In the Rap lecture Hook's describes for us the world of rap. It was obvious in many of the clips she showed in her lecture that rap music reduces the respect of woman and even the respect men have for themselves to a level of sexual pleasure and nothing more. It's hard to imagine we would let ourselves go so far to earn money then stop and realize we're tearing ourselves apart. I often listen to hip/hop or R&B and sometimes the lyrics reduce women to simply a pleasure tool, Similar to the ads we talked about in class.

In the "Madonna" lecture Hook's talks about racism and how it doesn't matter what color you are; the only color that matters is green, meaning money. It's clear the Madonna is clearly not afraid to put her body and her sexual moves out there. As long as she's making money it really doesn't matter. However, I believe she demoralizes the little girl image in the fact that she's willing to pose herself, on objects many relate to small children, in sexually explicit positions. Therefor demoralizing the images in our minds as being perceived more sexually then should be.

Finally, these lectures were a bit annoying for me to watch. I dislike the fact that this woman is putting all this information out there; yet in the lectures I've watched I cannot find her credibility. To an extent it seems to me like she's an upset woman and has many issues and can bring them out in lectures. Don't get me wrong, I really did agree with a good bit of what she had to say but the rest just annoyed me.

5 comments:

  1. Courtney! I completely agree!

    "Finally, these lectures were a bit annoying for me to watch." So true! I thought the same. I hate how women show SO much of themselves. Is this really sexy? Like, leave some hiden for the human mind to wonder!!

    Also, with the woman speaker. I agree to an extent. I mean, she's definetley fired up about her topic, maybe she should have been more personal with the audience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you.
    The lectures were rather annoying. I wish that women would stop trying to act like the women they see on ads because like Kiersten said "Is this really sexy?".
    I also felt that the speaker seemed almost a little one sided on her topic feeling that her side was the only side that could be right. Many people seem to have different thoughts on this topic and I think they should be heard too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you said about the artists in the rap industry demoralizing women on a regular basis, just as they do in advertisements. It is indeed what makes the most money, and could we ever grow from making and enjoying these types of ads? I do not think so. We have grown so accustomed to seeing ads like these, and they do not even bother us anymore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like everyone else i completely agree with you. The rap industry does portray women as an object rather than a person and this in my opinion is wrong. In a way tho it has sort of become accepted in the rap industry tho. This is wrong. The lectures did seem very one sided but again that is in the eye of the beholder.

    I agree with kiersten. The women should have been more engaged with her audience rather than lecturing about how women are seen as objects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the statement about hooks' lectures becoming boring/annoying to listen to. I felt the same way listening to them. I also agree with the fact that rap music seems to demoralize women. It is a shame that our culture has become so money driven that we overlook what exactly the music is saying to young people.

    ReplyDelete