Friday, February 19, 2010

The Feed That's Affecting all of Us

Recently we were assigned to read the book "Feed." While reading this book I noticed quite a few similarities from our world to that of the fictional world in "Feed." So it became obvious to me that even though feeds aren't installed in our brains we receive them visually and process them in our brains. Feeds such as the latest fashion, trend, news, etc..
It's a little frightening to think that if we do not realize that from science fiction the world of technology is born. Then our descendants could be walking around in bubbles fleeing from the pollution we created and getting updates on their recently developed "feeds."
I believe that in a way we are becoming like Violet. Slowly beginning to lose ourselves to what we feel are necessities and things that evoke feelings in us. Making us forget about the natural feelings the world around us creates and that we often create in ourselves.
This story is more than just fiction to me it's a glimpse forward to a world of what could be if we do nothing not to prevent technology from taking over our lives.
If you watch this really thing about what it's saying. The part that gets me is that fact that we are training people for jobs that DO NOT YET EXIST! Also, the part about myspace being the 5th largest country in the world (if it were a country.) Really, what are we becoming?

5 comments:

  1. I liked the addition of the video to your blog! It's fascinating to think of online spaces that are occupied in the same way that "countries" around the world are. I know that in many of the online games I've played, many might be surprised to learn that the currency and the economy in the game has real life value. For example, after building a character for over three years, I was able to sell her (my digital character) for a sum high enough to buy my engagement ring....sometimes gaming pays...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very interesting. That video was an eye opener. It makes me feel like I was being lied to by our country that we are so great, then this video shows how behind we are or how far back we have fallen. Impressive insight as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about having feeds already. Since we pay so much attention to technology, we seem to unconciously pay attention whatever to being shown to us. I also think that it is scary to think that our world is slowly turning into a science fiction novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you in the fact that we pretty much already have feeds and it is really shocking. I think something needs to be done before our descendents become completely consumed by the "feed"

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are indeed beginning to slowly stray away from our norm, and day by day we are getting worse. The mass amounts of technology in our day is corrupting our brains, and causing us to not appreciate the things we should.

    ReplyDelete